Ten Questions You Need to Answer to Survive a Data Disaster
Any business regardless of its size or stature needs a plan in the event of a disaster. In the case of your ecommerce business ensuring that you have all of your data backed up is imperative, whether that is customer data, product/supplier data and your most important asset being your employees personal data.
- What are your key systems and assets?
2. What risks does your business face if your core applications are not available for an hour? A day? A week?
3. What disasters are you guarding against?
4. What is your recovery time objective(RTO)? Is this specific to each application and/or customer-facing system?
5. What is your recovery point objective(RPO)? Is this specific for each application and/or customer-facing system?
6. Who are the key stakeholders and decision-makers who will need to be involved in any data recovery process? Do they know their roles?
7. Do you have a written recovery plan, and if so, does it also meet all compliance objectives?
8. Are you currently backing up your data? To an off-site location?
9. How long would it take to recreate all your proprietary data? Could you? At what cost?
10. When is the last time your organization completed a full recovery test?